Canadian architect. He was skilled at mixing the round-arched and Italianate styles (e.g. Henry Birks Store, Montréal, 1893–4). He entered into partnership with his brother, William Sutherland Maxwell (1874–1952—who had trained at the École des Beaux-Arts, Paris), in 1902, and together they produced many confident Classical designs (e.g. the Saskatchewan Legislative Building, Regina (1907–10), the J. K. L. Ross House, Montréal (1908–9), and the Montréal Art Association Gallery (1910–12). Their additions to Bruce Price's (1845–1903) Château Frontenac Hotel, Québec (1892–3), included the St-Louis Wing and Tower Block (1920–4), in which a mixture of the French château style and elements derived from Scots fortified houses encapsulated the importance of Scots settlers and French colonization in the history of Canada. The firm had an enormous and successful practice, designing many commercial and other building-types.
Kalman (1968, 1994);Jane Turner (1996)