American eclectic architect, he made a distinctive contribution to domestic design. Educated in Paris, he was influenced by Viollet-le-Duc's theories, and in 1886 returned to New York to work with Carrère & Hastings before setting up on his own (1902) in CA, where he worked mostly in the Stick style. In his First Church of Christ Scientist, Berkeley, CA (1910–12), he mixed Gothic, vernacular, the Stick style, and more than a hint of Japanese-inspired timber-work. His many houses had similar qualities, but at the A. C. Lawson House, Berkeley (1907), he also used reinforced concrete, an early example of this material. He employed Beaux-Arts Classicism too, notably in the Palace of Fine Arts, San Francisco (1913–15), built for the International Exposition.
ARe, ciii (1948), 72–9;Bosley (1994);Cardwell (1977);Longstreth (1983);McCoy (1975);Placzek (ed.) (1982);Jane Turner (1996);R. Winter (ed.) (1977);S. Woodbridge (1992)
Subjects: Architecture — Art.