Ulster architect. He worked (1950s) with Lynch-Robinson before establishing (1956) his own practice in Belfast. Among his works may be cited Ashfield Girls' (1973) and Boys' (1975) Secondary Schools, extensions to Portora Royal School, Enniskillen (1964–72), Regional Headquarters for the Open University, University Road, and Headquarters for the Royal Society of Ulster Architects at 2 Mount Charles, Belfast (1976 and 1982 respectively—replica replacements of Listed Buildings damaged by terrorist bombs), and the new Council Chamber, Canada Room, and Extra Mural Department in the centre section of the Lanyon Building, The Queen's University of Belfast (1986). Best-known for his restoration-work (he was Consultant Architect to The National Trust (1971–83) ), his most important works in the field were the restoration and upgrading of Matcham's Grand Opera House, Belfast (1980—with Tiepoloesque ceiling by his wife, Cherith Rosalind, née Boyd (1928–2004) ), E. & J. Byrne's rumbustious Crown Liquor Saloon, Belfast, of 1885 and 1898 (1983), his own house at Chrome Hill, Lambeg, Co. Down (from 1967), Ardress House, Co. Armagh (1962—for The National Trust), the Temple at Temple Water, Castleward, Co Down (1971), and the total rebuilding of Malone House, Belfast (1983). He completed the north transept of St Anne's Cathedral, Belfast (1981).
Country Life, cxcv/37 (13 September 2001), 168–173;Mr Robert McKinstry ;personal knowledge