1. Often a synonym for mass communication through the mass media, as distinguished from interpersonal communication.
2. Interpersonal communication using a technological medium of communication such as a telephone (see also computer-mediated communication).
3. All forms of deliberate communication other than direct face-to-face interaction based on speech or sign-language.
4. Indirect interpersonal communication through a third party: see also J-curve; two-step flow.
5. Most radically, the mediatedness of all human communication (in the sense that communication always involves a medium, including the medium of language or body language).
Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please,
or login to access all content.