Overview

Hans Meltwitz

(fl. 1481)


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

(fl 1481; d Torgau, between 18 Nov 1520 and 7 Jan 1521). German architect. He worked as a journeyman under Arnold von westfalen on Albrechtsburg castle at Meissen, and in 1481 he appears in the Meissen Türkensteuerregister (register of tax payments to fund defences against the Turks). He seems, however, to have been resident at Torgau all his life and took part in important building works there: the castle (1484), the parish church of St Mary (choir vault c. 1485; addition to sacristy c. 1510) and the Franciscan church (remodelling of chancel c. 1495; new hall nave before 1517). Outside Torgau, Meltwitz worked mainly for the electors of Saxony. In 1493/4 he was involved with building the residence at Wittenberg, to which he was summoned in 1504, 1508 and 1514. From 1504 to 1507 he did extensive work at the hunting castle of Frederick the Wise at Lochau (destr. 1572). In 1515 he was Master of the Works of the Vorschloss at Wittenberg (destr.), and in 1516 he was in charge of building the second church of St Wolfgang at Schneeberg (burnt 1945; rest.). He became one of the leading Saxon masters of works and took a leading part in the masons’ congress at Annaberg in 1518. In 1519, with Benedikt Ried and Hans Schickendantz (fl 1493–1528), he was an assessor for the continuation of work on St Anne's, Annaberg. In 1520 he was in charge of a fundamental renovation of the Schlosskirche at Weimar (destr. 1618).

[...]

From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.

Subjects: Renaissance Art.



Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.