(c. 1749–1831). Scots architect, one of several who settled in Russia at the invitation of Cameron. By 1818 he had taken Cameron's place as the leading court architect. He designed a country-house with Gothic interiors at Alexandria (Gulf of Finland) from 1825, and several ornamental buildings in the Alexander Park, Tsarskoe Selo (e.g. the Ruined Chapel (1827), Turkish Elephant-House (1828), and the wholly extraordinary Egyptian Gate (1827–30), with its pylon-towers covered with cast-iron plates decorated with Egyptianizing hieroglyphs designed by Vasily Ivanovich Demut-Malinovsky (1779–1846)).
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.