Overview

John Merewether

(1797—1850) dean of Hereford


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

(1797–1850) [Bi]

Dean of Hereford and excavator of numerous prehistoric sites in southern England during the first half of the 19th century. One of his most ambitious schemes was in 1849 when, with finance from the Royal Archaeological Institute, he drove a tunnel into the south side of Silbury Hill, near Avebury. Throughout his work his field technique was characteristic of 19th-century clerical excavators. Merewether is reputed to have opened 35 barrows on the Marlborough Downs between 18 July and the 14 August 1849.

From The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Archaeology in Oxford Reference.

Subjects: Archaeology.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.