(fl c. 1400–50). South Netherlandish painter. Bode named the Master in 1887 from a triptych only twice exhibited before it passed from the Mérode family to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. (It is now on display in The Cloisters, New York; see colour pl. 2:XII, fig. 1). An Annunciation in a contemporary domestic interior is flanked, on the left wing, by a donor couple imagined to be in the garden of the Virgin's house and, on the right wing, by St Joseph in his carpenter's workshop. One of the coats of arms in the stained glass of the central panel has been identified as that of the Ingelbrechts family of Mechelen, and the man behind the donors bears the badge of the town of Mechelen. He and the donatrix were added over a completely painted background indicating a complex initial history. The lady's costume suggests a date in the 1430s.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.