(b Urzędów, c. 1530; d Łowicz, c. 1583). Polish sculptor and master builder. He trained in Kraków, perhaps at the workshop of giovanni maria Mosca padovano. He directed a building and sculpture workshop in Kraków; although he did not officially become a master in the Kraków guild until 1570, he had been working independently since at the latest 1557, when he executed the tomb of Bishop Benedykt Izdbieński (Poznań Cathedral). Michałowicz built two domed chapels in Kraków Cathedral containing the funerary monuments of the Kraków bishops Andrzej Zebrzydowski (1562–3) and Filip Padniewski (1572–5), and he built a similar chapel and monument in the Łowicz Collegiate Church for the Primate of Poland Jakub Uchański (1580–83; epitaph dismantled late 18th century; reassembled in Arkadia, nr Łowicz). He also signed the tomb of Urszula Leżeńska (c. 1565) in the parish church of Brzeziny. The artist's characteristic style permits the attribution to him of several unsigned tombs, including those of the brothers MikołajandStanisławWolski (1568; Warsaw Cathedral); StanisławTarnowski (1569; Chroberz); and JanLeżeński (1573; Chełmno). He also executed carved portals for houses at 18 Kanoniczna Street and 3 Floriańska Street, Kraków.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.