(1792–1853), English orientalist and High Church divine. Educated at Trinity College, Cambridge, where he was elected Fellow in 1814, he was from 1820 to 1838 the first principal of Bishop's College, Calcutta. Here he became keenly interested in Arabic and Sanskrit studies and assisted with the publication of works in the Indian vernaculars for spreading the Christian faith. Forced through ill-health to return to England in 1838, he became chaplain to Abp. W. Howley and Hulsean advocate (1839) and later Regius professor of Hebrew at Cambridge (1848). His support of the ‘Cambridge Camden Society’ did much to further the interests of Tractarian principles at the university.
From The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church in Oxford Reference.