Overview

Jacques Molinos

(1743—1831)


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

(1743–1831). French architect. He collaborated with J. -G. Legrand on a number of projects, including the erection of the huge timber dome over the central court of the Halle au Blé, Paris, in 1782–3 (destroyed 1803), which was regarded as very progressive at the time. Also with Legrand he designed the Julien Garden at Épinay, and the Théâtre Feydeau which influenced F. Gilly. On his own he built the Château of Puisieux, near Villers-Cotterets (1780–5). As Architect and Inspector of Civil Buildings for the Department of the Seine he produced some experimental but unrealized Neo-Classical designs for cemeteries and crematoria, including the original proposals for Montmartre Cemetery, Paris (1799). His son, Auguste-Isidore Molinos (1795–1850) became an architect in Paris, designing the Churches of St-Jean, Neuilly (1827–31), and Ste-Marie, Batignolles (1828–9).

From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.

Subjects: Architecture.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.