(b ?Salzburg; fl c. 1497). Austrian painter. He is named after a number of panels from a winged altar top in the former Benedictine abbey church of Mondsee, near Salzburg. These can be dated from an altar consecration in 1497. The winged altar had a programme of large painted scenes from the Childhood of Christ. Traces on the backs of the wings show that this was completed by the Coronation of the Virgin and scenes from the Life of the Virgin in low relief. The large panels of the Circumcision (Vienna, Belvedere), placed above the Presentation of Christ (German priv. col.), on the left, faced those of the Adoration of the Magi (German priv. col.), placed above Christ among the Doctors (Vaduz, Samml. Liechtenstein). Two graded wings, painted on both sides (Vienna, Belvedere), showed on the outside St Ambrose and St Augustine and on the inside the Flight to Egypt (see fig.) and the donor in front of the Virgin in a dress of corn-ears. The last two panels have a gold background. The coat of arms identifies the donor as Benedikt Eck von Vilsbiburg (abbot, 1463–99). The entire altar is a simplified version of the winged altar in Teichstätt, near Strasswalchen (consecrated 1479; destr. but known through drawings), and the high altar of St Wolfgang (1481) by Michael Pacher, also commissioned by the abbot of Mondsee.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.