The diocese was created out of the ancient see of Llandaff in 1921, and is virtually conterminous with the county of Gwent. It is the smallest in the Church in Wales, few parishes being more than 25 miles from the cathedral. When the diocese was formed, there was no obvious choice for a cathedral. In the event, the parish church of St Woolo in Newport, the most populous town, was chosen.
Subjects: British History.