(b Ghent, c. 1545; dafter 1582). Flemish sculptor and architect, active in Austria, Bohemia and Germany. In 1572 he collaborated with Giambologna (1529–1608), and in 1575, on Giambologna's recommendation, he entered the service of Emperor Maximilian II in Vienna. He worked in the Neugebäude, near Vienna, on wall and ceiling decorations and, according to van Mander, executed giant stucco figures. For Emperor Rudolf II's entry into Vienna (1576), he designed a large triumphal arch on the Bauernmarkt and modelled several sculptures. When Rudolf II moved his court to Prague later in 1576, Mont followed him, although his name does not appear in the inventory of the imperial Kunstkammer. In 1617 philipp Hainhofer saw ‘six statues in “marmo” and “di brunzo” on pediments by Giovan di Mente and Giovan Bologna’ in the Kunstkammer, Dresden. Having lost an eye playing tennis, at the latest by early 1580, Mont apparently had to abandon sculpture. In May 1580 he was working as a master builder in Ulm, where he was employed on the city's fortifications. In 1582 he was dismissed because of deficiencies in his work.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.