Flemish architect. Little is known of his training, but he designed the Collège du Pape, Louvain (Leuven—1776–8), which is in a late-Baroque style. He became the Architect to Duke Albrecht of Sachsen-Teschen (1738–1822), Governor-General of the Austrian Netherlands, in c.1780, where he became a dominant figure in the architectural world of what is now Belgium, designing the Palace of Schoonenberg, Laeken (1782–4) and the Church of St-Jacques-sur-Coudenberg, Brussels (1776–85). He commenced (1791) the Military Academy of Ixelles, Brussels (not completed), and moved to Central Europe with the Duke where he designed the Redoute, Baden (1799), the Temple of Concord in the Park at Laxenburg (1795), major alterations at the Albertinum, Vienna (1801–4—to house the Duke's great art-collections), and the Classical Great Hall of the Hofburg, Vienna (1804–7). He was responsible for the saloon in the Palais Rohan, Prague (1807), one of the best examples of Neo-Classicism in Bohemia.
Gerson & Ter Kuile (1960);Thieme & Becker (1932);Wagner-Rieger (1970)