(1597–1684), Bp. of Winchester. Educated at Westminster and at Christ Church, Oxford, he became rector of Mildenhall, Wilts, in 1641. He was ejected as a royalist in 1648 and was abroad until the Restoration, conducting services in many places for the Anglican exiles. Soon after his return (1660) he became Dean of Christ Church and later in the year Bp. of Worcester. On 23 Apr. 1661 he preached the Coronation Sermon and in May took a prominent part at the Savoy Conference. He was translated to Winchester in 1662. Despite his close associations with the High Church party, his theology was Calvinistic. His writings, however, were short and mostly occasional. He was a great benefactor, notably to the diocese of Winchester, and rebuilt Wolvesey Palace. He was also the patron of T. Ken, whom he made his chaplain in 1665.
From The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church in Oxford Reference.