(1835–98), biblical student. Having entered the Wesleyan ministry in 1858, he was at once appointed to a teaching post at Richmond College, which he held till 1874. In the latter year he became the first headmaster of the Leys School, Cambridge. He was one of the foremost authorities on NT Greek in his day. In 1870 he became secretary of one of the NT committees occupied on the RV, and work in connection with the RV filled a great part of his life. His published writings include a fresh Eng. tr. of J. G. B. Winer's Grammar of NT Greek (1870) and, in conjunction with A. S. Geden, a Concordance (1897) to the Greek NT.
From The Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church in Oxford Reference.