Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

Vertical post between the lights of a window or screen. Stone and timber mullions are usually moulded. Square timber mullions set diagonally on plan in a medieval aperture are called diamond mullions, while windows with four or more lights may have subsidiary mullions subdividing the window into lights and larger mullions corresponding to the aperture proper called king-mullions.

Subjects: Architecture — History.

Reference entries

See all related reference entries in Oxford Index »

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.