Leading Chicago architectural practice founded in 1959 by Charles Franklin Murphy (1890–1985), Chicago, who through his work with Burnham had a direct connection with the Chicago School. The German architect Helmut Jahn joined the firm in 1967, and in 1973 became a Partner. The practice was renamed Murphy/Jahn in 1981. In the 1960s the office produced several Chicago buildings much influenced by the work of Mies van der Rohe, including the Continental Insurance Building (1962), the O'Hare International Airport (1965), the Chicago Civic Center (1965), and the Exhibition Building, McCormick Place (1971). After Jahn became a leading member of the firm, its buildings began to incorporate historical references, including Art Deco elements. Jahn has been associated with High Tech architecture, and his skyscrapers have been admired, including the Messeturm, Frankfurt-am-Main, 1991. Jahn also designed a series of buildings for the Kurfürstendamm, Berlin, including a steel-and-glass block at the junction with Adenauer-Platz and Brandenburgische Strasse (1995). Other works include the Franz Josef Strauss Flughafen, Munich (1993–6—with Arup as consultant on the roof structure), and the Post Tower, Bonn, Germany (1999–2003—with its elegant curved outer walls composed of two layers of glazing, combining meticulous attention to architectural detail with sophisticated environmental control).
Architectural Review, ccxiv/1278 (Aug. 2003), 58–63;Blaser (1996a, 2002);Kalman (1994);Jodidio (1993);Klotz (ed.) (1986);Lampugnani (ed.) (1988);Ma. Miller (1986);Murphy/Jahn (1995, 2001)