Greek archaeologist best known for his excavations at Mycenae. Born at Smyrna, he studied archaeology at Athens University. After serving in the Greek army against the Turks in 1922 he went to America where, from 1928 onwards, he held a number of university teaching posts. In 1957 he was elected president of the Archaeological Institute of America. He excavated at a number of sites in Greece, including Ayios Kosman, Eleusis, and Olynthus, but he is best remembered for his work at Mycenae, where he became director of excavations in 1958 after earlier collaboration with J. Papadimitriou on the outer grave circle. Between 1979 and 1988 he was Secretary General of the Archaeological Society of Athens. He was elected an Honorary Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries in 1978. His numerous publications include He neolithike epoche en Eleusis (1928, Athens, reprinted 1975), and Ancient Mycenae: the capital city of Agamemnon (1957, London: Routledge & Kegan Paul).
Antiquaries Journal, 68 (1988), 389–90