The ancient site of a major Buddhist centre near Amarāvatī.associated with Nāgārjuna. The site was most noted for its great stūpa which was constructed prior to the 3rd century ce by the south Indian Śātavāhana kings. By medieval times, the site was abandoned and fell into obscurity until its discovery and partial excavation in 1927. The site was fully excavated in the 1950s prior to the flooding by the Nāgārjunasagar Dam of the entire valley in which it is situated. Much of the site was preserved by relocation of the remains while the Nāgārjunakoṇḍa stūpa survives on an island in the middle of the reservoir.