Early 20th‐century Art Nouveau was given a fillip by the establishment of the Provincial Alliance of Art Industries (Alliance Provinciale des Industries d'Art), also known as the School of Nancy (L'École de Nancy). Part of a wider drive to dissolve the divide between the ‘major’ arts of painting and sculpture and the ‘minor’ decorative arts, the School of Nancy was established by Émile Gallé in 1901, principally supported by designers Louis Majorelle, Victor Prouvé, and the glassmaking Daum brothers, August and Jean‐Antonin. They aimed to enhance the artistic content of industrially produced articles through the intervention of the craftsman, building on the legacy of the writings of John Ruskin and William Morris in Britain. With Gallé as president and Majorelle as vice‐president, the School of Nancy mounted an exhibition furthering its ideas in Paris in 1901. Following Gallé's death in 1904, Prouvé became president. The views of the group were often promoted in the periodical Art et industrie (1909–14) under the editorship of G. Grouthière‐Vernolle.
Subjects: Industrial and Commercial Art.