Town in Bavaria on high Jurassic rock cut by the River Danube. From 1247 the town belonged to the Wittelsbachs, and it was granted a town charter in 1332. In 1392 it came under the control of Ingolstadt, and from 1447 under that of Landshut. From 1502 Neuburg was the official residence of the junior Palatinate branch, and Elector Palatine Otto Henry lived there (1522–44, 1552–5). The upper gate (c. 1540) remains from the town's 16th-century fortifications.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.