Overview

Newmarket


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

(Suffolk and Cambs.) is the headquarters of flat racing, run on the downs since the reign of Charles II, who founded the Newmarket Town Plate and after whom the ‘Old Rowley’ mile course is named. It is the home of the Jockey Club, which built a coffee‐house at the course in 1752.

Subjects: British History.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.