A weekly journal of politics, art, and letters, originally planned as an organ of the Fabian Society. It was first published in 1913 with Clifford Sharp as editor, J. C. Squire as literary editor, and the Webbs and G. B. Shaw as regular contributors; Kingsley Martin was editor 1931–60. It has maintained its policy of ‘dissent, of scepticism, of inquiry, of nonconformity’. Among other writers connected with the journal have been J. M. Keynes, L. Woolf, and V. S. Pritchett. It merged with New Society in 1988.
Subjects: Literary Studies (20th Century onwards).