(1765–1844). Scots architect. Settling in London, he published The New Carpenter's Guide (1792), which described new methods of constructing vaults and niches. This was followed by The Principles of Architecture (1795–8) and The Carpenter's and Joiner's Assistant (1797). He practised as an architect in Glasgow from 1800, building Carlton Place, Laurieston (1802–18), other buildings in Scotland and Cumberland (he was Surveyor to that County from 1808), and laying out the town of Ardrossan, Ayrshire (1800–8—although the harbour was constructed by Telford). Back in London (1810) he published The Architectural Dictionary (1812–19), and The School of Architecture and Engineering (from 1825, but abandoned). He was assisted in some of his publications by his son, Michael Angelo Nicholson (1796–1842), who also brought out several books: their prodigious output constitutes an important repository of architectural and building knowledge, and includes An Architectural and Engineering Dictionary (1835, revised 1852). One of M. A. Nicholson's two daughters married ‘Greek’ Thomson.
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.