Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

1 Corner of a room, i.e. interior angle formed by the meeting of two walls.

2 Piece taken out of an angle, e.g. where a reveal meets the exterior face of a wall and a reentrant angle is formed, giving two arrises instead of one.

3 Part of the corner of a room beside a fireplace, often with its own window, called an ingle-nook, sometimes treated as an alcove off a room providing a more intimate space.

C. M. Harris (1983);Oxford English Dictionary (1933)

Subjects: Architecture.

Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.