(fl 1460s). German sculptor. The name is given to the carver of the wooden figures of the high altar of the Georgskirche, Nördlingen, Germany. The group consists of a Crucifix (h. 1.72 m), the Virgin (h. 1.47 m) and St John (h. 1.51 m), two (originally probably four) grieving angels (one, uncertainly attributed, in Kaiserslautern, Pfalzgal.), St George (h. 1.55 m) and St Mary Magdalene (h. 1.49 m). All the figures are of walnut with original polychrome. The paintings on the altar wings (Nördlingen, Stadtmus.) and the fragments of painting preserved on the shrine are by Friedrich Herlin. The wings were removed in 1683 and the shrine was enveloped in a Baroque casing, with the figures of St George and St Mary Magdalene standing near by.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.