A sandbank at the mouth of the River Thames, England, lying off the entrance to the River Medway, and for many years a naval anchorage which later gave its name to one of the chief commands of the British Navy. The first commander-in-chief appointed to the Nore Command was Admiral Isaac Townsend in 1752, and it included the naval dockyard at Chatham. In 1797 it was the scene of a naval mutiny which followed the one at Spithead. During the late 19th century a smaller dockyard was constructed at Sheerness, at the mouth of River Medway, and this also became part of the Nore Command, the two forming, with Portsmouth and Plymouth, one of the three main home bases of the British fleet, with the commander-in-chief exercising naval operational control of the North Sea. After the Second World War (1939–45), Sheerness dockyard was turned over to civilian purposes, the Nore ceased to be an operational naval command in 1961, and Chatham Dockyard was closed in 1984.
Subjects: Maritime History.