County town of Nottinghamshire, situated on the river Trent, and a city since 1897. It is first recorded as one of the ‘five boroughs’ of the Danes, succeeded by an English fortified town (burh) after 921. In the 12th and 13th cents. it became a regional centre with self‐government, town walls, and a major fair. After the Restoration the town became a social centre for the county gentry. Industry developed after 1700 with framework‐knitting, and later lace‐making, and the town grew rapidly. In the 20th cent. it was known for tobacco, bicycles, pharmaceuticals, and a distinguished university.