Ballet company founded in 1942, using dancers who had fled the Paris Opera Ballet in advance of German troops. Its first director was Marcel Sablon. The repertoire included Diaghilev ballets, along with new works. In 1944 it was disbanded but was re-formed in 1946 by the impresario Eugene Grünberg. Lifar, who was artistic director, created several works for the company, including La Péri (mus. Dukas), Salomé (mus. R. Strauss), Nautéos (mus. J. Leleu), Dramma per musica (mus. Bach), and Chota Roustaveli (mus. Honegger). An impressive line-up of dancers included Chauviré, Charrat, Jeanmaire, Skouratoff, and Tcherina, although most of them left with Lifar when he returned to the Paris Opera in 1947. The Marquis de Cuevas bought the company following Lifar's departure and re-named it Grand Ballet de Monte Carlo.