An early trading port in the Mekong Delta in Cochin China, South Vietnam, excavated by L. Malleret in the 1940s, and thought to be the main port of the Funan kingdom. The town, which dates to the early 1st millennium ad, had substantial defences comprising five ramparts and four moats. The area enclosed covers 450 ha. Inside there are buildings of stone as well as timber structures on piles. The scale of trade is represented by the finds of objects of Mediterranean origin, among them a gold coin of Antonius Pius dated ad 152 and Sassanid seals. Indian material also includes seals of 3rd‐century ad date, beads, and jewellery. There are also Chinese bronzes. Local craft production included the manufacture of glass and stone beads, and extensive tin, bronze, and gold working. The town was linked to the coast and its hinterland by a series of canals that can be traced on aerial photographs.
L. Malleret, 1959–63, L'archéologie du Delta du Mekong. 4 vols., Paris: École française d'Extrême Orient