English architect, he established his practice in 1910, and carried the ideals of the Arts-and-Crafts movement into the 1920s and 1930s. Among his works the Rose & Crown public house in Cambridge (1928) and other inns for the brewers Greene King are cited, many of which contained fittings designed by members of the Art-Workers' Guild (of which he was Master in 1932). His best-known building is the Borough Offices, Angel Hill, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk (1935–7), described by Pevsner as ‘Neo-Georgian …, tactful, and completely uneventful’. He sensitively repaired Castling's Hall, Groton, Suffolk (1933–4), and served (1912–48) on the Committee of the Society for the Protection of Ancient buildings. He wrote much on vernacular architecture, including Old Houses and Village Buildings in East Anglia (1912). He published The Renaissance of the English Public House (1947).
AH, xlvii (2004), 329–60