(1839–1911). German architect, whose Gothic Revival brick buildings for the Lutheran Church were influential throughout Northern Germany. His best work was the Church of St John, Hamburg-Altona (1868–73—won in a competition in 1867). He also designed the Bergkirche (Hill Church), Wiesbaden (1876–9), the monumental Heiligekreuzkirche (Holy Cross Church), Berlin-Kreuz-berg (1885–8), the Apostelkirche, Ludwigshafen (1892–4), and the centralized Ringkirche, Wiesbaden (1892–4). He was responsible for several villas in the Berlin suburb of Lichterfelde and elsewhere.
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.