The see, now conterminous with Oxfordshire, Berkshire, and Buckinghamshire, was carved out of the vast Lincoln diocese by Henry VIII in 1542. The last abbot of Osney, Robert King, was the first bishop. Because initially the diocese was small, consisting only of Oxfordshire, and relatively poor, most late 17th‐ and 18th‐cent. bishops were eager for preferment elsewhere. The cathedral, formerly St Frideswide's Augustinian priory church (1158–85), in Norman style, is an integral part of Christ Church college.
Subjects: British History.