Overview

Pall Mall Gazette


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

Founded in 1865 by Frederick Greenwood (1830–1909) and George Smith to combine the features of a newspaper with the literary features of the Spectator and the Sunday Review. Its name was taken from Thackeray's Pendennis, where Captain Shandon in the Marshalsea prepares the prospectus of ‘The Pall Mall Gazette’, ‘written by gentlemen for gentlemen’. Its early contributors included Trollope, Sir J. F. Stephen, L. Stephen, and M. Arnold. J. Morley took over as editor, to be succeeded (1883–9) by W. T. Stead, whose sensational journalism altered the character of the paper.

Subjects: Literature.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.