(b c. 1585; d Sweden, 1630). Dutch architect, active in Sweden. He was in Amsterdam in 1617 but moved to Sweden in 1620, where he worked until 1622 at Eskilstuna Castle (destr.) in the district of Södermanland for Duke Charles Philip, brother of King Gustav II Adolf of Sweden (reg 1611–32). From 1622 he was engaged as Royal Master Builder at Stockholm Castle, completing the complex with a new wing with the assistance of Dutch craftsmen. This wing occupied the short eastern side of the main courtyard and housed parts of the royal administration. It seems to have been rather simple, the only decorative element having been a small scrolled gable on the courtyard elevation. At the request of the King, in 1622–3 Panten also remodelled the medieval archbishop's residence in Uppsala into new headquarters for the university (the Gustavianum). This building was plainer still, although it featured a double flight of external stairs surmounted by a small baldacchino, a device that was also used on the front elevations of Dutch town halls. The Gustavianum still exists, but it was enlarged and monumentalized by Olof Rudbeck in 1662–3 and again at the close of the century. Panten probably also prepared designs in the 1630s for Gustav Adolf's mortuary chapel adjoining the medieval Riddarholm Church, Stockholm, that was used from the 1630s as a burial-place for Swedish monarchs. The chapel, which is mainly Gothic in style, is a pentagonal brick structure with tall round-arched windows; it is crowned by a dome and a Renaissance lantern. The architectural details, however, including most notably the quoins and window surrounds, are of Dutch design of an early 17th-century type.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.