papier collé

Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

(Fr.: ‘pasted paper’).

A type of collage in which pieces of decorative or printed paper are incorporated into a picture or—when stuck on a ground such as canvas—themselves constitute the picture. The technique was first used by Braque and Picasso in Cubist works of 1912, and they were soon followed by Gris. Matisse's use of cut-out paper shapes in his late work is a development of the technique.

Subjects: Art.

Reference entries

See all related reference entries in Oxford Index »

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.