[Pardubice nad Labem; Ger. Pardubitz].
Town in eastern Bohemia (now in the Czech Republic), 100 km east of Prague at the confluence of the River Labe (Elbe) and River Chrudimka. It was established before 1340 by Arnošt the elder and his son Arnošt, the latter being the first archbishop of Prague. The oldest written record of the town dates from 1295, and in 1318 Půta of Pardubice was mentioned as the first inhabitant of the castle. The structure was rebuilt after the first half of the 14th century in Gothic style and, in its layout of four wings around a courtyard, was influenced by the design of the 14th-century Karlštejn Castle in central Bohemia. It was redesigned (1521–43) with the addition of a third storey. The rooms of the south wing are decorated with painted trompe l'oeil architecture, ornamental bandings and figurative scenes (e.g. Samson and Delilah and an Allegory of Fortune), all in Renaissance style. The interior of the east wing has similar paintings (1530–40) and painted ceiling panels. The castle was enlarged (from 1574) to plans (1571–2) by Ulrico Aostalli and again after 1726 by František Maximilián Kaňka.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Renaissance Art.