(1745–1819). French architect and pupil of Louis-François Trouard (whom he succeeded as Architect to the Cathedral of Ste-Croix, Orléans, where he worked on the west front (1787–90)), he made his reputation with his drawings of Antique remains in Italy. He designed the interiors of the Hôtel Crillon, Paris (1774), and an extraordinary but unrealized palace for the Prince-Bishop of Basel, Porrentruy (1776). His Neuchâtel Town Hall, Switzerland (1784–90), a severe essay in Neo-Classicism, has an entrance-hall containing baseless Greek Doric columns supporting low vaults, a powerful combination. His taste for the exotic and for archaeology influenced his students Percier and Fontaine. He directed some important archaeological surveys in Rome (1806–17), including work at the Colosseum.
From A Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Oxford Reference.