French opera house, its official title being Académie de Musique, Paris. Opened 1671. Controlled by Lully 1672–87. Destroyed by fire 1763, also the next building 1781. In 1794 moved to rue de Richelieu as Théâtre des Arts, then to rue Favart 1821 and to rue Lepeletier 1822. Great period in its history followed, with operas by Meyerbeer, Auber, and Hérold and commissioned works from Rossini (Guillaume Tell), Verdi (Don Carlos and Les Vêpres siciliennes). New th. opened 1875, commonly known as Salle Garnier (after its architect). Accommodates 2,600 people and has large stage (100′ wide and 112′ deep). With opening of Opéra Bastille in 1990, the Paris Opéra is now used both for opera and ballet. See also Paris, Opéra‐Comique.