Overview

Parker's cement


Related Overviews

 

'Parker's cement' can also refer to...

 

More Like This

Show all results sharing this subject:

  • Architecture

GO

Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

Patented in 1796, sometimes known as Roman or Sheppey cement, it was a grey-brown stucco rendering composed of burnt clay nodules crushed to powder and mixed with lime, sand, and water. It hardened quickly and was commonly applied to inferior brickwork façades as a substitute for ashlar, the ‘joints’ suggested by scores made before the cement had dried. It was also used (without the addition of lime) for construction under water, as it had the peculiar property of hardening in such conditions: it was superseded by Portland cement.

Gwilt (1903);Papworth (1852)

Subjects: Architecture.


Reference entries

Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.