John Parkhurst was born in Northamptonshire in June 1728 and died in Epsom on 21 February 1797. He was educated at Rugby and Clare Hall, Cambridge (BA, 1748; MA, 1752), of which he became a Fellow. After ordination he inherited family estates at Catesby, Northamptonshire and Epsom, Surrey. For some time he acted as curate to a friend but gave the family living at Epsom to Jonathan Boucher, a loyalist clergyman long resident in America who had to leave in 1775 after denouncing the Revolution from the pulpit: he protected himself by placing pistols on his pulpit cushion. Parkhurst himself led a life of literary retirement. He is chiefly important as a lexicographer, publishing A Greek and English Lexicon to the New Testament (1769) and a Hebrew–English Lexicon (1762). Theologically he was a follower of John Hutchinson and published works on the witness of the spirit, addressed to John Wesley, and on the divinity of Christ, addressed to Joseph Priestley, this latter a matter of pure theology.
From The Continuum Encyclopedia of British Philosophy in Oxford Reference.