British architect. He worked with H. R. Gough in London from 1882 before setting up on his own in c.1885. Specializing in the design of electricity generating-stations, he advised on the design of several in London and elsewhere, showing considerable ingenuity, such as the raised garden over the electricity transformer station in Brown Hart Gardens, London, with a splendid Mannerist domed pavilion at each end (1904). He designed 127 Stamford Street, London (1915), with Egyptianizing detail. Responsible for the Centre Court for the Lawn Tennis Association at Wimbledon, he used ‘board-finished’ reinforced-concrete earlier than Owen Williams's Wembley Stadium (1934).
A. S. Gray (1985)