(b London, 27 Nov 1791; d Balham, 17 April 1863). English glass manufacturer. About 1790 his father (also called Apsley Pellatt) founded the Falcon Glasshouse, in Southwark, on the south bank of the Thames opposite London. The firm continued on this site until 1878 and at New Cross until 1895. In 1819 Pellatt obtained a patent for producing sulphides (encrusted cameos); he called the technique ‘crystallo-ceramie’. Some time after 1819 he introduced the famous incrusted glass cameos for which the company is best known (e.g. sulphide of George III, c. 1825-50; London, V&A), alongside its staple production of cut glass. Production included goblets, paperweights and scent-flasks, which incorporated an embedded medallion made of a porcellanous material decorated with profile portraits, busts, coats of arms and landscapes. In 1831 he developed a similar technique called ‘Crystallo Engraving’, which was imitative of wheel engraving, in which a mould-blown object was decorated with an intaglio impression achieved by the inclusion of a plaster motif in the mould. In 1849 Pellatt published his Curiosities of Glass Making, and in the 1850s he revived ice-glass.
From The Grove Encyclopedia of Decorative Arts in Oxford Reference.
Subjects: Decorative Arts, Furniture, and Industrial Design.