First developed in the 1930s as polymerized methyl methylacrylate, this durable thermoplastic was first produced commercially under the registered trade name of Perspex by ICI in 1935. Tough, flexible, and translucent it was an alternative to glass and was widely used in the Second World War for aircraft cockpits. Other design uses include transparent rulers, protractors, and recipe holders, transparent furniture, lighting, and jewellery. It is marketed in the United States as Plexiglass and Lucite.
Subjects: Chemistry — Industrial and Commercial Art.