At a Saxon village on the site a monastery was established c.655. After the church had been destroyed by the Danes, it was rebuilt c.966 by Ethelwold, Bp. of Winchester, who dedicated it to St Peter; hence the village came to be called ‘Peterborough’. This church having been burnt in 1116, the foundations of a new one were laid in 1117; it was completed in 1237, and in 1541 it became the cathedral of the newly constituted diocese.
Subjects: Literature — Christianity.