Overview

Hans Pfister

(1573—1642)


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

(b Breslau, Silesia [now Wrocław, Poland], 5 Aug 1573; d Lwóv [now L’viv, Ukraine], 1642). Silesian sculptor. After an initial training, probably with his stepfather Hans Hoffmann, he lived for a time in Gdańsk, where he encountered Dutch art through his association with Willem van den Blocke. Pfister arrived c. 1607 in Lwóv and subsequently lived there and in Tarnów and Brzeżany. In Lwóv his work included figurative decoration (1611–15) in the Boimi Chapel, and monuments (c. 1621) in the Dominican church and cathedral. One of his finest works, the Ostrogski family monument in Tarnów Cathedral, based on a design by Willem van den Blocke with Pfister's own ornamental and figural decoration (1620), demonstrated his early adherence to Dutch-German Mannerism; the tombs (Ojców, Pieskowa Skała Castle) that he executed during 1627–41 in Brzeżany for the Sieniawski family show that by then the early Baroque roots of Polish figural sculpture had come to influence his style.

From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.

Subjects: Renaissance Art.



Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.