Overview

Conrad Pflüger

(fl. 1477)


Show Summary Details

Quick Reference

(fl 1477; d ?Meissen, between 10 Feb and 28 May 1505). German architect. He first appears from 1477 to 1481 as foreman at the Albrechtsburg, the castle at Meissen, and in 1483–5 he was in charge of the work on the hall (Wing D) of Schloss Hartenfels in Torgau. It is uncertain from the documents whether he worked on the Kreuzkirche at Dresden in 1486/7, but he probably undertook a fairly large commission (perhaps a design for the new building) at the elector's residence at Wittenberg. In 1488 Pflüger went to Görlitz as Master of the Works and acquired citizenship there in the same year. In 1490 he became Master of the Works for the town. His most important work in Görlitz was the completion of the Pfarrkirche SS Peter und Paul. He was already busy elsewhere, for example at Český Dub, Bohemia (now in Czech Republic), and he later developed an extensive consultancy practice. In 1492 he was summoned to Lwówek Śląski, Poland, to build fortifications, and in 1495 to Leipzig, particularly for the vaulting of the Thomaskirche. From 1496 to 1503 he built the Schlosskirche at Wittenberg (see fig.), and in 1497–9 he was working on the completion of the new Kreuzkirche (destr. 1760) at Dresden. In 1497/8 he moved to Meissen. St Anne, Annaberg, begun in 1498, probably derives from Pflüger's designs; he laid the foundations of its tower in 1502. In 1503 he drew the designs for the Alte Collegium at Wittenberg; in the following year he inspected the Dreikönigskirche at Dresden, but any surviving work is impossible to detect under the Baroque building. Shortly before his death he visited the Nikolaikirche, Leipzig, where his design is apparent in the vaulting, which was executed later.

[...]

From The Grove Encyclopedia of Northern Renaissance Art in Oxford Reference.

Subjects: Renaissance Art.



Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content. Please, subscribe or login to access all content.