French architect active in C13 Paris. Probably trained at Amiens, his first recorded works were a refectory (1239) and a Lady Chapel (1245) at St-Germain-des-Prés (mostly destroyed) in Paris. He was recorded as caementarius (mason) at St-Denis (1247), but any connection with Sainte-Chapelle, Paris, is tentative. The higher parts of the south transept at Notre Dame, Paris (1258–67), were designed and built by him following the death of Jean de Chelles. His tombstone (no longer extant) at St-Germain-des-Prés acknowledged his status as a Doctor of Masons.
Eudes de Montreuil (fl.c.1250–87), perhaps Pierre's son, was a Magister Caementarius Operum Domini Regis (Master-Mason of the King's Works), and may have been involved in building fortifications at Jaffa, Palestine. Part of Beauvais Cathedral was attributed to him, but the evidence for this, and for his involvement at the Aigues-Mortes town fortifications, is virtually non-existent.
Branner (1965);W. Papworth (1852);Placzek (ed.) (1982);Jane Turner (1996)
Subjects: Architecture — Medieval and Renaissance History (500 to 1500).